1. Home
  2. Support for individuals

Support for individuals

Please click here for the most recent guidance regarding staying at home and away from others 

The key information is:

We understand that these are uncertain times for many people, and so we have collected information here about options you may wish to consider if you have become recently unemployed:

Job seekers Allowance

You can apply for Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) whilst you look for work, and payments are usually made every two weeks. A new style JSA is the type of allowance that most people who have become unemployed, as a result of COVID-19, are most likely to be eligible for. For full details click here

Also check if you’re eligible for Universal Credit. If you are, you could get Universal Credit at the same time or instead of ‘new style’ JSA.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work and it is paid monthly.

Use this step-by-step guide to find out whether you are eligible and how to claim.

Looking for work?

For those looking for work there are a number of recruitment sites and agencies available. We recommend using the Department for Work & Pensions web pages. There is significant demand for nurses, healthcare assistants, social care workers, delivery drivers, warehouse workers and retail workers.

You will need to set up an account to use this site, but it is straightforward to do so.

There is an urgent appeal for people to work on farms this season, as travel restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic is having a significant effect on the number of people able to travel to the UK to take up these roles. Please share this link widely to support the recruitment of seasonal farm workers.

National Careers Service

The National Careers Service is open to everyone, whether they are employed, unemployed, been recently made redundant, or furloughed. The can help with a range of things, from finding work, assessing your skills, finding training. Please get in touch and you will be directed to local providers. 


Those looking for workers

The Department for Work & Pensions also allow you to advertise a job on their pages.

This service has replaces Universal Jobmatch. Log on here to create an account and to Advertise a Job


Recommended content

Coronavirus Support Hub
Read more